3. June 2013 21:00
With the release of Windows Server 2012 R2 estimate end of the year a lot of new features will be introduced, one of the first question is What’s new for Hyper-V in Windows Server 2012 R2
Generation 2 Virtual Machines
- A VM with now “Legacy”
- UEFI based
- No emulated devices
- Boots off virtual SCSI / Network adapters
- Supports Secure Boot
- VMs boots seconds faster, OS install much faster
(For now only supported guest OS’s are 64-bit Windows 8 and Windows Serer 2012 and later, you will not be able cannot upgrade a Gen1 VM to Gen2 VM because of UFIE (new bootloader) and use of GPT partition and not MBR to boot.)
Enhanced VM interaction
- Full remote desktop capabilities, even when the network is down!
- Integrated into Hyper-V Management experience
- Virtual machines are automatically activates when hosted on Window Server 2012 Datacenter edition
- Zero touch activation of VMs for hosters / enterprises
- Copy and paste rich text and graphics inside hyper-V console!
- Video and audio over Hyper-V console
- Copy/paste feature as PowerShell commandlet for non GUI guest
- USB passthrough can be enabled (GPO) it is tied to "RDP" session of VM remote tool.
- Live migration VMs from Window Server 2012 to Windows Server 2012 R2
- 2x to 10x Faster Live Migration
- Zero downtime migration
- Compression enables over 2x improvement in live migration time
- SMB Direct support allows for high-speed live migrations over high-end networks (RDMA)
VHDX / Export / Clone
- Increase and decrease the size of VHD while VM is live, Online VHDX resize
- Export VM while it is running, Live VM Export
- Export snapshot of a VM, while VM keeps running
- Can restrict disk throughput for overactive / disruptive VM
- Dynamically configurable while VM is running
- Extended replication, now add a second replica to add extra protection for your VM at offsite location or hoster
- Finer grained control of replication, now choose 30 sec interval or 5 minutes (default) For other scenarios choose 15 minutes.
- Windows Azure will support orchestration of recovery using Hyper-V DR replica’s and system center VMM on premise.
Note: All listed in this post subject to change, this is prerelease list of features that are planed to be included in upcoming release of Hyper-V with no warranty.